C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Seeking a better constexpr

From: Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 11:10:57 -0700
On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 9:58 PM Jeremy Ong via Std-Discussion <
std-discussion_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> number of situations. Once code was restructured as constexpr, the compiler
> often fails to inline code that should be entirely inlineable. Suppose we
> want to actually attach data to what is now a compiled expression template.
> All early attempts to do so failed because the compiler was unable to infer
> that the instantiation of the function could only possibly be invoked in
> one place (and thus should be inlined no questions asked). Part of the
> issue here is that constexpr as a keyword conveys *very little
> information* regarding what will ultimately happen when invoked. By the
> time I restructured the code to peel away the non-constexpr argument that
> had snuck in, the compile times became untenable again (once again, more
> data needed to be pushed to types) and it was back to the drawing board.
>
> 3. The proper usage of `if constexpr` feels a bit lackluster. The operand
> must be fully determined to be a constant expression, but this immediately
> qualifies "data" that is, again, static at compile time. Constant
> expression arguments proposed for C++2b is an option, but it should seem
> that an if block gated by the `is_constant_evaluated` should preclude that
> (it doesn't). Another issue is that in more complicated functions, it can
> be very difficult to reason about the branches when constexpr and
> non-constexpr branches must intermingle.
>
> 4. Allowing allocations which do not leave the constexpr context via
> constexpr new is not actually helpful in several situations I can think of.
> At the end of the data, often, the data needs to be variably sized, and in
> this scenario, you cannot use auto return type deduction to read off the
> size as a constant expression and create the appropriately sized type that
> I need.
>
> Are there situations and workarounds to the above? Yes, but only after
> extensive rewrite and fighting the compiler every step of the way. Even at
> the end, I'm not sure if I will be getting the performance I could have
> gotten with just straight C-style procedural code for each operation I need
> to support. Granted, I think my application was perhaps a bit more extreme
> in its requirements, but I think it was a decent "sniff"-test for what I
> see as problems and headaches ahead. As it is, I'm doing things like
> rounding up capacities to the nearest size of two (and other such nonsense)
> to reduce the combinatorial explosion of type instantiations.
>
> *The idea I would like to float around is the following:*
>
> - Proposal: introduce a new function signature decorator called
> `consteval` (in the spirit of the variable consteval decorator) which is an
> input into overload resolution.
> - All other overload resolution decorators are evaluated first (const, ref
> qualifier, ADL), and then `consteval` is considered. If the invocation
> occurs at compile time, the `consteval` overload is given precedence.
> - All arguments passed to the consteval function are *implicitly

The only way to do this is to make that function a template and treat all
the arguments as non-type template parameters. See
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p0992r0.pdf for why
this is a problem.

> - All if statements and control statements are similarly implicitly
> constexpr (even if the notion for such a construct doesn't exist now, i.e.
> there is no `for constexpr` as of yet).
> - Functions that are `consteval` can call non-consteval functions without
> any issue (it is a weaker qualification).
> - All allocations are also permitted applying the rules with the currently
> proposed `constexpr new`, except *they may leave *the constexpr context
> and reside in the data segment (analogous to static variable
> initialization). Initially, I would imagine that only trivial destructors
> are permitted (but still this would unlock a lot of capability).

We almost got this for C++20, but there are some significant issues to
solve here.

- Michael Spencer