C++ Logo

std-discussion

Re: Syntax of pointers to functions, members, and member functions

From: Andrew Tomazos <andrewtomazos_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:31:48 +1000
In my experience pointer-to-functions are rare in modern C++. Generally
people either use a deduced callable type template parameter (unconstained
currently but hopefully with the appropriate concept in C++20) for static
binding or they use std::function for dynamic binding. In both these cases
(unlike pointer-to-function) the parameter will bind to a lambda or other
callable, in particular something than can capture state or curry,
especially binding an implicit object parameter to a member function.

I've seen very experienced C++ programmers be surprised by the existence of
the function-to-pointer standard conversion - I see this as further
evidence that pointer-to-functions are little used. Some related searches
on ACTCD19 seem to confirm this too.