Re: [SG7] SG7 | varid R1 paper

From: David Rector <davrec_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 08:25:44 -0500
I think Dominic’s proposal is not quite covered by other reflection facilities/proposed reflection facilities (except to the extent full expression reflection obviates the need for what he proposes), but also the proposal needs to be tweaked.

Consider the key example from the paper:

```
template<typename OP, typename E0, typename E1, auto ID0, auto ID1>
struct Binary { …} ;

template <typename E0, typename E1>
auto add(E0 &&e0, E1 && e1)
-> Binary<Add, E0, E1, varid(e0), varid(e1) {}

Binary<Add, C, Binary<Mul, A, B, 1, 2>, 3, 5> // c0 + a*b
Binary<Add, C, Binary<Mul, A, B, 1, 2>, 4, 5> // c1 + a*b
```

The key issue in the above is that varid needs to accept not just identifiers, but temporaries. (I.e. varible #5 in the above corresponds to the result of "a*b" — and critically, it must be #5 in *every* case in which a*b is referenced).

However, this could still be done — but a better term for what you want might be `exprid(expr)`, where expr could be any expression. The implementation would be a simple hash of the underlying AST expression node, with any referenced declaration or subexpression AST pointers included in the hash. The output would be an integer. Another thing you’d need, you would need to be able to delay the exprid(expr) until instantiation — i.e you don’t want the varid/exprid for e0, but rather whatever replaces it.

Both would be possible, even simple to implement, and could well have some utility. (Indeed I’ve wondered for awhile if module-like facilities could use AST node hashes to keep track of what particular nodes have been previously compiled, instead of only reasoning about full files…but that’s another matter.)

Dave