Re: [SG20] [isocpp-lib-ext] Reducing the number of numeric algorithms in namespace ranges

From: Arthur O'Dwyer <arthur.j.odwyer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 12:45:20 -0400
Chris,

If you're doing design work on <numeric>, then I EXTREMELY strongly
recommend watching Conor Hoekstra's talk "Algorithm Intuition"
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gV1SNm3WA> (from this year's C++Now)
first. Some design takeaways:

- Having "default" functors causes more confusion than help. The fact that
some numeric algorithms default to std::plus (std::reduce) and others to
std::minus (std::adjacent_difference) adds to the difficulty in developing
intuition about these algorithms.
- The historical naming of these algorithms is asymmetric and inconsistent
(just like their placement outside of <algorithm>). New "modern" versions
should go in <algorithm> so that learners of algorithms don't have to worry
about numerics.
- As pointed out in the Q&A, <numeric> is a misnomer for these abstract
algorithms anyway. For example,`std::inner_product` over doubles does not
compute a mathematically precise answer; "transform-reduce with std::plus
and std::times" is an unrealistically naïve way to compute "inner product."
The name of the algorithm should reflect its purpose, and the placement of
the algorithm should reflect its level of numeric sophistication.
- Having a 1-range version of `transform` and a 2-range version of
`transform`, sharing the same overload set, is a source of confusion.
Having 1- and 2-range versions but no 3- or 4-range versions (that is: the
original `std::transform` pre-dates variadic templates) is also a source of
confusion for programmers used to variadic `zip`.

Procedural issue: Your original message would have been clearer if you
could list not only the 7 algorithms you did, but also the (N??) algorithms
that are on your list of "all of the numeric algorithms."

HTH,
Arthur