Agenda for the 2024-02-07 SG16 meeting

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 23:24:57 -0500
SG16 will hold a meeting on Wednesday, February 7th, at 19:30 UTC
(timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20240207T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pst&p3=tz_mst&p4=tz_cst&p5=tz_est&p6=tz_cet>).

The agenda follows.

  * Updates from the Unicode liaison from the UTC #178 meeting.
  * CWG 2843: Undated reference to Unicode makes C++ a moving target
    <https://cplusplus.github.io/CWG/issues/2843.html>.
  * P2845R6: Formatting of std::filesystem::path
    <https://wg21.link/p2845r6>.
  * P3070R0: Formatting enums <https://wg21.link/p3070r0>.

The UTC #178 meeting took place January 23-25th (agenda
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24005.htm>, draft minutes
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2024/24006.htm>). Robin will provide a
brief report of anything of significant SG16 interest. I am aware of at
least one interesting development!

We last discussed CWG 2843 during the 2024-01-10 SG16 meeting
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings?tab=readme-ov-file#january-10th-2024>
in which we established consensus for use of a dated reference to the
Unicode Standard, a mandatory minimum Unicode version requirement, and
an allowance for implementors to use an implementation-defined later
version. We have yet to provide recommendations for the following:

 1. The version of the Unicode Standard to be specified as the mandatory
    minimum version.
 2. Whether implementations are allowed to use different
    implementation-defined Unicode versions for the core language and
    the standard library.
 3. Whether the implementation-defined Unicode version should be exposed
    via a new feature test macro (perhaps two new feature test macros
    depending on the previous item).

Review of P2845R6 and P3070R0 was requested by Victor with a goal of
having an SG16 position established for them ahead of the Tokyo meeting.

We previously reviewed and agreed to forward P2845R3 to LEWG during the
2023-09-13 SG16 meeting
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings/blob/master/README-2023.md#september-13th-2023>.
Some minor changes have been made following LEWG and LWG review that
Victor would like SG16 to review. Please familiarize yourselves with the
changes made in the later revisions.

P3070R0 proposes a std::format() enhancement to enable values of one
type to be easily formatted as values of another type without having to
write a std::formatter specialization. I don't see any obvious SG16
concerns in the proposal, but we'll review to socialize the new feature
and provide an opportunity for others to identify any SG16 concerns that
I missed.

Tom.