Updates from the Unicode Text Terminal Working Group

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:04:17 -0500
The Unicode UTC formed a new Text Terminal Working Group following the
publication and review of L2/23-107 (Proper Complex Script Support in
Text Terminals)
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23107-terminal-suppt.pdf>. This is of
interest to SG16 since this group will hopefully, eventually, publish a
specification that can be used by utilities like std::format to properly
position text in a terminal.

An interesting response to that initial paper was published as L2/23-153
(Opposition to and Comment on L2/23–107)
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23153-opposition.pdf> and, in my
opinion, is worth reading. The author of that paper has since joined the
group and is contributing to their efforts.

The group published L2/23-194 (Text Terminal Working Group Report to UTC
#176)
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23194-text-terminal-wg-report.pdf> to
report on their progress. L2/23-231 (Minutes of UTC Meeting 177)
<https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2023/23231.htm> reports, in section F.2,
that an oral report was given for UTC #177. I have asked for a summary
of that report, but I have not heard back yet.

Tom.