Agenda for the 2023-08-23 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 11:40:30 -0400
SG16 will hold a telecon on Wednesday, August 23rd, at 19:30 UTC
(timezone conversion
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20230823T193000&p1=1440&p2=tz_pt&p3=tz_mt&p4=tz_ct&p5=tz_et&p6=tz_cest>).

That is *today*, *in about 4 hours*. Obviously, I'm still struggling to
keep up with all the things.

The agenda follows.

  * P2909R0: Dude, where’s my char? <https://wg21.link/p2909r0>
  * P2728R6: Unicode in the Library, Part 1: UTF Transcoding
    <https://wg21.link/p2728r6>

P2902R0 is a new paper from Victor that seeks to establish portable
behavior for formatting of objects of type char regardless of the
implementation-defined signedness of char.

P2728 was last discussed during the 2023-05-10 SG16 telecon
<https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#may-10th-2023>. I have
continued to hear feedback that the motivation for the proposal, as
presented in the paper, is lacking. I'd like to focus on giving Zach
specific, concrete, and clear direction regarding how to improve the
paper in this respect. Comments should focus on what is perceived to be
missing and what changes would fill those gaps. Following that, I would
like to focus on error handling. The proposal includes a
transcoding_error_handler concept and a use_replacement_character class
that models that concept and that provides the default error handling
behavior. The error handler is specified to take a message passed as an
object of type std::string_view, but does not specify the contents of
the message. The error handler is constrained to return a single value
of type char32_t and is not given access to the source text (except.
possibly via the message, which is always char-based). Is this
sufficient? If not, what changes are needed?

Tom.