Re: C++ Developer Survey questions for 2023

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 18:29:15 -0700
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 18:07:53 PDT Zach Laine via SG16 wrote:
> I have written Windows apps that use UTF-8 and ASCII, and nothing
> else. If your expectation is that that's a 0% case, and mine is that
> it is not, it sounds like asking other people what they think would be
> a good thing.

And that application used UTF-16 behind the scenes if you've run on any
Windows in the past 20 years. The question is whether that counts. Anyone who
has programmed low-level Windows will know this and will wonder if that is
included in the question, even if the code isn't explicit.

And a Windows developer who has dealt with the W APIs will have explicitly
dealt with UTF-16 (for example, CreateFileW). And in this case, my answer
would be "yes, I use more than one encoding: file names are UTF-16, file
contents are something else." How would you expect this developer to answer
your questions?