Re: C++ Developer Survey questions for 2023

From: Thiago Macieira <thiago_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 13:53:20 -0700
On Thursday, 2 June 2022 13:34:34 PDT Zach Laine via SG16 wrote:
> So then 100% of those people will say "always". Others people not
> writing those kinds of programs will answer differently, right? I
> think I'm missing something.

The point is that it's 100% for nearly 100% of the applications, which means
it's not useful data. And this also changes depending on whether the developer
knows that Windows is UTF-16 behind the scenes or not. If they do, then
virtually 100% of Windows applications deal with at least two encodings, one
of which is not Unicode or US-ASCII.

That's why I am asking if you really meant to ask that.

Maybe you meant to exclude the locale's encoding, so this question only
applies to dealing with processing of content that may have a different
encoding than the typical.

Maybe you want to specify that the user's own code is explicitly doing the
conversion, and any operation that the libraries do on behalf of the user is
not to be counted. That way, it shouldn't matter that they use fopen() or
strcoll() on an OS that converts to another encoding before producing an
answer.