Re: Suggested wording change for non-Unicode cases in P2286R7: Formatting Ranges

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 23:06:13 -0400
> On May 4, 2022, at 10:08 PM, Barry Revzin <barry.revzin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 10:47 AM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> > Agreed with the latter part.
>> Thank you. That is at least three people reporting they found the prior
>> wording for the hex formatting to be more clear, so I'll restore that.
>> >
>> > Also, the string as given needs string-literal interpretation,
>> > which may or may not be obvious.
>>
>> Yes, I had thought about that, but hoped it was clear enough. Clearly it
>> wasn't. Thank you.
>>
>> Tom.
>
> I think I have applied this. Here's the rendered version: https://brevzin.github.io/cpp_proposals/2286_fmt_ranges/p2286r8.html#pnum_12
>
> And here's the diff, which may or may not be easier to read: https://github.com/brevzin/cpp_proposals/commit/0376912a9e1976e947016b1c393a356af6afa5d0
>
> One thing I noticed is that the wording about Grapheme_Extend is gone. I didn't know what this meant before, so I don't know now if this is a good removal or a bad removal.
>
> How does this look?

Thanks, Barry, but additional changes will be needed. We discussed the suggested wording during the SG16 telecon last week, but don’t have consensus on the updates quite yet. I just published the notes from the meeting an hour ago to https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings#april-27th-2022

I had intended to follow up with revised wording by now, but have instead been spending my time recovering from COVID. Sigh. I’m on the mend and will follow up tomorrow or Friday.

Tom.