Re: Suggested wording change for non-Unicode cases in P2286R7: Formatting Ranges

From: Barry Revzin <barry.revzin_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2022 21:08:40 -0500
On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 10:47 AM Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 4/29/22 10:56 AM, Jens Maurer wrote:
> > On 29/04/2022 16.20, Victor Zverovich via SG16 wrote:
> >> The format string in
> >>
> >> formatted as-if by a format string ([format.string.general] <
> http://eel.is/c++draft/format.string.general>) of "\\u\{{x}\}"
> >>
> >> is wrong because { and } should be escaped by doubling not via '\'.
> Moreover, as commented in the meeting I think the old wording that didn't
> use format strings was clearer.
> > Agreed with the latter part.
> Thank you. That is at least three people reporting they found the prior
> wording for the hex formatting to be more clear, so I'll restore that.
> >
> > Also, the string as given needs string-literal interpretation,
> > which may or may not be obvious.
>
> Yes, I had thought about that, but hoped it was clear enough. Clearly it
> wasn't. Thank you.
>
> Tom.

I think I have applied this. Here's the rendered version:
https://brevzin.github.io/cpp_proposals/2286_fmt_ranges/p2286r8.html#pnum_12

And here's the diff, which may or may not be easier to read:
https://github.com/brevzin/cpp_proposals/commit/0376912a9e1976e947016b1c393a356af6afa5d0

One thing I noticed is that the wording about Grapheme_Extend is gone. I
didn't know what this meant before, so I don't know now if this is a good
removal or a bad removal.

How does this look?

Thank you all,

Barry