LEWG(I) Weekly review - P2549R0: Should the output of std::print to a terminal be synchronized with the underlying stream?

From: Inbal Levi <sinbal2l_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:09:19 +0300
Hello all,
Today we have a paper in a bit of a different format (😉) -
this is an *Info* paper, which the fmt library author wrote to notify LEWG
of the current behaviour.
Currently there's *no action* suggested in the paper, but we would like the
author to *get an indication on the amount of support for the status quo,
as well as **whether a change is needed.*

P2539R0: Should the output of std::print to a terminal be synchronized with
the underlying stream? (wg21.link/P2539)
by: Victor Zverovich

***
*From the Discussion:*
To prevent mojibake std::print may use a native Unicode API when writing to
a terminal bypassing the stream buffer. During the review of [P2093]
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2022/p2539r0.html#biblio-p2093>
"Formatted
output" Tim Song suggested that synchronizing std::print with the
underlying stream may be beneficial for gradual adoption.

*Some meta data:*

   - *Bottom Line: *Neither {fmt} ([FMT]) nor Rust ([RUST-STDIO]) do such
   synchronization in their implementations of print.
   - To indicate your opinion on whether a change is needed (reasoning is,
   of course, welcome):
      - If you support the status quo (no change): please response with *"No
      Change"*
      - If you think a change is needed (synchronize the output with the
      underlying steam): please response* "+1"*

***

*Weekly reviews improve quality!*
Running weekly reviews allows more iterations on each proposal, which
hopefully, in turn, will result in more accurate and subtle fixes.

Thank you for taking the time to review the proposal,
and have a great week!

Inbal Levi