Re: libu8ident 0.1 released

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 09:20:13 +0200
On Tue, 25 Jan 2022 at 08:38, Reini Urban via SG16
<sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Thank you, Reini. I will get these scheduled for review in SG16. Please note that we are now beyond the deadline for new papers for C23 and C++23, so review will be directed towards later standards. Our immediate priority is to finalize features that have been accepted for C++23. As a result, it may be a few months before these papers get scheduled in SG16. Though an argument could be made that your proposal constitutes modification of a feature accepted for C++23 (P1949) and therefore in scope for that standard, I see your proposal as more of a competing one rather than a modification. P1949 effectively brought the standard up to date with more recent Unicode versions without changing the design intent; the changes you propose are a change in direction and more disruptive.
>

> In my point of view is that C11 made identifiers insecure by making them non-identifiable, and adopting TR39 will fix that spec bug. So a bugfix, not a feature.

At any rate, going into C++23 with P1949 and then looking at this
proposal later would mean that we have a breaking change
in our hands. If we go with this proposal, we can relax the
identifiers if we decide (again, tho, I might add) that we're not
concerned (*) about
bidi/homoglyph attacks.

(*) Or, rather, that we leave that to Quality of Implementation and
external tools, I guess.

But still, the high-order bit, to me, seems to be that if we go with
P1949 for C++23, the horses are out of the barn and the cats are out
of the bag. Taking a step back and going with what's proposed here
after C++23 has been published seems.. ..awkward. I would
find the hypothetical reverse order much less awkward, or even just
sticking with what's being proposed here.

I must wonder, tho, whether the cats are already out of the bag,
considering that gcc and clang already allow all sorts of identifiers
and gcc has that bidi warning. Seems like we're damned if we do,
damned if we don't.