Re: libu8ident 0.1 released

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 01:03:09 -0500
On 1/24/22 11:43 AM, Reini Urban via SG16 wrote:
> I've just released libu8ident, which implements the TR39 checks (and
> some TR31 profiles) for unicode identifiers. UTF-8 only. wchar support
> would be trivial, but I don't think anybody (but MSVC) would need that.
>
> That's the only such tool which is not in Rust or Java. I've only
> implemented it previously in my perl5 fork in 2016.
>
> This accompanies my recent WG21 and WG14 papers P2528R0 and n2916
> https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/P2528R0.html
> <https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/P2528R0.html>
> https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/n2916.html
> <https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/n2916.html>

Thank you, Reini. I will get these scheduled for review in SG16. Please
note that we are now beyond the deadline for new papers for C23 and
C++23, so review will be directed towards later standards. Our immediate
priority is to finalize features that have been accepted for C++23. As a
result, it may be a few months before these papers get scheduled in
SG16. Though an argument could be made that your proposal constitutes
modification of a feature accepted for C++23 (P1949) and therefore in
scope for that standard, I see your proposal as more of a competing one
rather than a modification. P1949 effectively brought the standard up to
date with more recent Unicode versions without changing the design
intent; the changes you propose are a change in direction and more
disruptive. That is ok, but I think we'll need more time than we
currently have available to understand the impact. I think
implementation experience in a C++ compiler may be needed to really
understand the effect on existing code bases.

Note that the paper linked as P2528R0 above identifies itself as P2538R0
in the document header.

I'm not able to find a P2528R0 or a P2538R0 in the WG21 paper archive.
Has the paper been submitted to WG21?

A bit of process information in case you aren't aware: draft revisions
of papers should be identified as, for example, D2528R<N> and only
marked as, for example, P2528R<N> once submitted. Once a paper has been
distributed with a "P" designation, it should not be modified again
(this is to ensure that everyone viewing a "P" paper sees the same content).

> I've also came up with 2 TR31 bug reports, sent to unicode via their
> contact form.
> They might fix their tables for version 15 then. See doc/tr31-bugs/md

The link for that document appears to be
https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/tr31-bugs.md
<https://rurban.github.io/libu8ident/doc/tr31-bugs.md>.

Tom.