Re: [SG16] ISO10646 defect report

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:47:32 +0100
On 29/11/2021 12.23, Peter Brett wrote:
> As a quick follow-up, several of the points made in the new paper:
>
> P2491 Text encodings follow-up (Jens Maurer)
> https://wg21.link/p2491r0
>
> rest on the discrepancy in the specification of the UTF-16 encoding scheme between the Unicode Standard 14.0.0 and ISO 10646:2020. The project editor for ISO 10646 believes this to be a defect which will be brought into line with the Unicode Standard in the next revision of ISO 10646, which is currently being prepared.
>
> I hope that P2491 can be revised to mention this.

Does ISO 10646 have a defect tracking system that is publicly
visible, so that we can monitor the progress and have a bug-id
to refer to?

Beyond that, I believe the reference to "higher-level protocol"
in the proposed resolution is underspecified; I don't know what
a "higher-level protocol" is.

Beyond that, Note 3 in section 12 of ISO 10646:2020 (not Note 2 as
mentioned in the paper) suggests "0007 BELL", which is ambiguous
with U+1F514 BELL. This should use "ALERT" instead.

I hope that N5168 can be revised to fix these issues.

Jens