Re: [SG16] Please review "P2286R3: Formatting Ranges" (by Barry Revzin)

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 18:04:29 -0500
If I recall correctly, there was a suggestion that delimiters be restricted
to the basic character set. I don't think that's quite the right approach,
although it would work. It would work because the basic character set is
single byte encoded, and therefore the assigned meaning of the encoded byte
is almost irrelevant for purposes of matching. The core problem is, of
course, that we don't have a way of determining the literal encoding (yet)
in a fashion that would allow the core constant expression to be parsed
according to that encoding, and we certainly don't have any mechanism for
run-time strings used by vformat. Except locale, and, let's not.

I don't believe the standard supports u{8,16.32} string views for
conversion to a format string, at least not yet?

I think we need to look for a way to say that the delimiter character is
not multi-byte encoded?