Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-10-06 SG16 telecon

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2021 15:18:45 -0400
Thanks, Corentin. I didn't actually intend these questions to be posed
to you; my goal is to confirm, during the telecon, that 1) we all share
a common understanding, and 2) that we have consensus on it.

I think we have to entertain the idea that the IANA registry may not be
insufficient for what we're trying to achieve with this paper. I would
be sad if that lead you to abandon the paper, but there appears to be
some uncertainty regarding its suitability.

With regard to this question:

How is the IANA registry intended to be applied? Which IANA encoding
would be considered a match for each of the following cases?

  * Wide literal encoding is UTF-16, sizeof(wchar_t) is 2, CHAR_BIT is
>= 8, little endian architecture.
  * Wide literal encoding is UTF-16, sizeof(wchar_t) is 1, CHAR_BIT is
>= 16, architecture endianness is irrelevant since code units are a
    single byte.
  * Wide literal encoding is UTF-16LE, sizeof(wchar_t) is 1, CHAR_BIT is
>= 8, architecture endianness is irrelevant since code units are a
    single byte.

This question was intended to demonstrate a conflict or ambiguity that
does not appear to have an obvious solution. The only sensible answers
for each case are UTF16LE and UTF16 (or other or unknown). Either the
1st and the 2nd are both UTF16, or the first and the third are both
UTF16LE, or all three are UTF16. Resolving the ambiguity in order to
determine how code points are actually encoded/decoded would require
branching on sizeof(wchar_t) and/or the value of CHAR_BIT thereby
significantly reducing the utility of the feature.

Tom.