Re: [SG16] P1885 polling

From: Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 14:05:27 +0200
On 24/09/2021 10.17, Corentin wrote:
> Jens, Hubert.
> Are you satisfied with the added recommended practice sections, and other changes?

No.

Looking at https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D1885R8.pdf

"[ Note: The name of each enumerator of the enumeration text_encoding::id is derived from
the alias of each primary name that begins with ”cs”, as follows"

"that begins with" refers to the "primary name".

Also, the entity we're talking about here is "encoding", not really primary name.
Maybe "... derived from the corresponding alias that begins with "cs", ..."

csUnicode is renamed text_encoding::id::UCS2

"is renamed to"

or maybe better "is mapped to"

I still feel the wording contains insufficient guidance for implementers to do
the right thing.

Consider a little-endian platform with UTF-16 wchar_t. What should wide_literal()
return? UTF16 or UTF16LE ?

Now consider a big-endian platform with UCS-2 wchar_t (because they never caught
up to recent Unicode extensions). There's only UCS-2, although maybe something
like UCS2BE might be the much more appropriate choice.

Same question for UTF-32 = UCS-4 wchar_t.
Should this be UCS4 or UTF32 or UTF32BE/LE?

Jens