Re: [SG16] P1885 polling

From: Peter Brett <pbrett_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 11:10:16 +0000

This is a good thing.

If I:

1. Obtain the wide literal encoding, E, with the P1885 facility
2. Obtain a wide string literal.
3. Memory copy the string literal into a byte array.
4. Ask an external library [1] "is this byte array validly encoded with this encoding, E".

Then the answer should either be, "yes", or "the external library doesn't recognise the encoding".

Having an 8-bit encoding as your wide literal encoding is nonsense unless your wchar_t is an 8-bit type.

Best regards,

                     Peter

[1] Because we still don't have a standard encoding facility.