Re: [SG16] Whitespaces again

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 13:20:56 +0200
Thanks for the feedbacks
New draft https://isocpp.org/files/papers/D2348R2.pdf

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 6:54 AM Hubert Tong <
hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In the grammar for *single-line-comment*, do not require comments to be
> non-empty:
> // *single-line-comment-elem*
> =>
> //
>
> In the grammar for *single-line-comment-elem*, fix the category mismatch:
> except *line-break*
> =>
> except a character that begins (and is the whole or a part of) a
> *line-break*
>
> or "except a character that matches *line-break-character*"

Done

> In the grammar for *multi-line-comment*:
> Apply "opt" to *multi-line-comment-elem-seq*.

Done

> In [lex.whitespaces]:
> A disambiguation rule is required to prefer matching CRLF as a
> *line-break* instead of two *line-break*s.

See Jens' reply, which I agree with

> In the grammars for *h-char* and *q-char*, use whatever formulation was
> chosen for *single-line-comment-elem*.
>
> Same comment for the grammars of *basic-c-char* and *basic-s-char*.
>
> Same comment for the grammar of *d-char*. Additionally, use "a character
> that matches *horizontal-whitespace-character*" instead of the implied "a
> character that is *horizontal-whitespace-character*".

These now read "or any character that matches line-break-character"

> The [lex.string], the "*line-break*" in a raw string literal wording
> could be more explicit about scanning for line-breaks (sequences matching a
> *line-break* is not a *line-break* "for free"; it is a *line-break* if,
> for example, the grammar asks for a *line-break*).
> This can be done by adding *line-break* under the *r-char* grammar and
> adjusting the other *r-char* case with the formula from
> *single-line-comment-elem*.

I am not sure I agree with all of that, but I do agree that there isn't no
line-break as such in a raw string literals.
I've replaced it with " A sequence of characters that matches the grammar
of line-break ..."

> In [cpp.line]:
> number of *line-break*
> =>
> number of *line-break*s

Thanks

> In [lex.pptoken]:
> The instances of "non-whitespace character" with respect to the "cannot be
> one of the above" case is problematic if the interpretation leaves us with
> cases where there are Unicode whitespace characters that are a part of
> neither a preprocessing token nor a *whitespace*. That's a new situation,
> which the surrounding wording could not be relied upon to handle in a
> straightforward manner.

Changed to "each character that is not part of a whitespace and that cannot
be one of the above"
Might need further massaging when merging