Re: [SG16] Agenda for the 2021-07-14 SG16 telecon

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:56:15 +0200
On Sun, Jul 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM Hubert Tong <
hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The assumed prerequisite paper is P2314 and not P2223? I see "translation
> character set" present in "unchanged context" in the wording.

Indeed, I got the numbers wrong. fixed.

> For the requirement to provide a mechanism, this might be an improvement:
> An implementation shall provide a mechanism to specify the result of the
> determination that is independent of the content of the source file.
>
> For the note, I think this is an improvement that would reduce the time
> spent in CWG:
> A command line option that specifies the encoding scheme to use as the
> result of the determination is such a mechanism.

Ok, I'll use that. Thanks.

> In the third paragraph of phase 1:
> [ ... ], then the physical source file shall be a well-formed UTF-8
> sequence.
> Each UCS scalar value encoded in the UTF-8 sequence is mapped to the
> corresponding element of the translation character set.
>
> I'm not sure what to make of the situation around end-of-line indicators
> yet. P2348, "Whitespaces Wording Revamp", is also floating in the mix.

Indeed. P2348 is motivated by P2295.
I believe it's not dramatic to leave things partially hanging (there can be
line feed in utf-8 files and we do say that line feed is new-line in
P2314), but I hope we will talk about P2348 at some point.

Thanks,
Corentin