Re: [SG16] LWG issue: Time formatters should not be locale sensitive by default

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 12:52:06 +0200
Did more research,
I was wrong

There do not seem to be an end to the brokenness, which I guess is to be
expected when dealing with POSIX
Reading of the code of strftime reveals that strftime never uses locale to
format numbers without O, even if it should.

In fact, it never uses the digits property at all! Neither does printf

There is a glibc extensions
> glibc 2.2 adds one further flag character. *I*> For decimal integer
conversion (*i*, *d*, *u*) the output uses the locale's alternative output
digits, if any. For example, since glibc 2.2.3 this will give Arabic-Indic
digits in the Persian ("fa_IR") locale.

Fortunately, fmt here is consistent -
http://eel.is/c++draft/format#string.std-15 - nobody actually localizes
number. should we? Probably.
Anyway, that's a separate question.

It turns out, that strftime uses a completely separate set of digits than
CTYPE, aka alt_digits as mentioned previously
Except that most locales that do have non-latin digits do not have these
non-latin digits in alt_digits.

What it means is that it is impossible to correctly get a localized date in
most locales that do have different digits but no alt_digits.

I thought I would clarify that as my earlier message was incorrect (and
based on the flawed assumption that POSIX locale had gotten something right)
It doesn't change my main point the fact that the L applies to the entire
string and that users mays want to convert names and not numbers so the
specifiers or the proposed resolution need not modifying