Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Review of P2093R2: Formatted output

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 00:30:37 -0500
On 12/13/20 10:23 AM, Victor Zverovich wrote:
> > The scenario I intended to contrast with was an inherited file
> stream vs one obtained by a call to fopen() or similar.
>
> Could you elaborate how you propose to detect this distinction
> portably? Are you suggesting adding file descriptor checks?

I'm not proposing that the distinction be detected. My preference is
what I stated at the start of this email thread:

 1. When writing directly to a terminal/console, exploit native
    interfaces as necessary for text to be displayed correctly.
 2. Otherwise, write output encoded to match the system/run-time
    encoding; the encoding that P1885 indicates via text_encoding::system().

Then, once we have proper transcoding facilities, perhaps via a
combination of Corentin's P1885 <https://wg21.link/p1885> named
encodings and JeanHeyd's P1629 <https://wg21.link/p1629> encoding
objects, provide the ability to override the default behavior for the
2nd case, perhaps by associating an encoding with a C or C++ stream,
and/or specifying an explicit encoding on calls to std::print(). This
approach would enable the program to adapt to the user's environment (by
default, as has been required since the dawn of C and C++) while also
allowing the program to override the environment based on program
requirements or other information.

> > The environment the program runs in (in real deployments outside
> the abstract machine) consists of more than just a console.
>
> Right and this is why the console case is handled specially.
Yes, and we agree on the special handling for the console case.

> > The environment the program runs in (in real deployments outside the
> abstract machine) consists of more than just a console.
>
> Couldn't agree more.

Good :)

Tom.