Re: [SG16] [isocpp-lib-ext] Review of P2093R2: Formatted output

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 17:37:35 +0100
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020, 16:01 Victor Zverovich via Lib-Ext <
lib-ext_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > In the former case, the programmer has wide latitude for choosing an
> encoding and knows that the content is being written to a file. In the
> latter case, the programmer doesn't (in general) know whether the output is
> redirected to a file, pipe, or some other character device.
> > For #2, it is the user that is making the choice to write the output to
> a text file, not the programmer.
>
> I don't think this is correct. In general, when you have a file stream
> object you cannot tell whether it was redirected by the user or not in both
> cases. You can of course distinguish between a file and a pipe, but not
> whether it was redirected by the user or the programmer. Even if it was
> possible it would be weird to have lossy transcoding into a legacy codepage
> in one case and not the other.

I think I agree.
>From the perspective of the program the console output is the same whether
it is redirected or not, and the encoding expected by a well behaved system
is that of the console.

If we agree with that, the question become, do we want to be clever (mostly
on windows)?

> > that choice is historically distinct from the run-time encoding used by
> the environment the program runs in.
>
> This is exactly what we are trying to fix because as we can see it results
> in mojibake in common scenarios.
>
> > I believe it would be a reasonable choice for a z/OS programmer to use
> UTF-8 as the execution/literal encoding and still run that program in an
> EBCDIC environment.
>
> Is the desired behavior for z/OS to have string literals compiled to UTF-8
> in the binary and do runtime transcoding into EBCDIC instead of having
> string literals compiled to EBCDIC and avoiding runtime transcoding? The
> latter is already supported by the paper. The former is a somewhat strange
> and inefficient approach but if it is the desired behavior I'd be happy to
> tweak the wording to make this possible (suggestions are welcome). In any
> case I think we should avoid making transcoding lossy when possible or
> having it controlled at runtime without very good reasons.
>
> > My suggestion was that, when writing to a stream known (e.g., via
> _isatty()
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/reference/isatty?view=msvc-160>)
> to be directly connected to the Windows console, that the Unicode path be
> taken regardless of what the execution encoding is, with transcoding to
> UTF-16 performed as necessary.
>
> Sounds reasonable. I suggest polling this in SG16.

I think I agree with that too!

> > I think you are pointing out that the output of the findstr command
> will fail to present properly because the console encoding doesn't match.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I think the relevant question for this paper, given that it does intend
> to specify encoding conversions in at least some cases, is how output such
> as filenames that may have content that is not well-formed according to the
> execution encoding, can be incorporated.

I am afraid that mandating that print is filename friendly would add a lot
of constraints to the point of maybe not being realistically implementable.
Is that a use case we want to support?

> OK, I'll look into it and add a report back in the next revision of the
> paper.
>
> > I don't find throwing an exception to be acceptable, but attempted
> conversion with U+FFFD substitution as suggested by Peter seems ok

U+FFFD should be an extremely rare case, namely invalid utf8. There should
be very few real life scenarios for which a given valid character in a non
Unicode encoding would not convert to Unicode (big 5 comes to mind)j