Re: [SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 16:04:14 -0400
On 10/12/20 4:54 PM, Shawn Steele wrote:

> I’m having trouble with the attempt to be this prescriptive.
>
> These make sense: “Use Unicode!”
>
> * If possible, mandate use of UTF-8 without a BOM; diagnose the
> presence of a BOM in consumed text as an error, and produce text
> without a BOM.
> * Alternatively, swallow the BOM if present.
>
> After that the situation is clearly hopeless. Applications should Use
> Unicode, eg: UTF-8, and clearly there are cases happening where that
> isn’t happening. Trying to prescribe that negotiation should
> therefore happen, or that BOMs should be interpreted or whatever is
> fairly meaningless at that point. Given that the higher-order
> guidance of “Use Unicode” has already been ignored, at this point it’s
> garbage-in, garbage-out. Clearly the app/whatever is ignoring the
> “use unicode” guidance for some legacy reason. If they could adapt,
> it should be to use UTF-8. It **might** be helpful to say something
> about a BOM likely indicating UTF-8 text in otherwise unspecified
> data, but prescriptive stuff is pointless, it’s legacy stuff that
> behaves in a legacy fashion for a reason and saying they should have
> done it differently 20 years ago isn’t going to help 😊

There are applications that, for legacy reasons, are unable to change
their default encoding to UTF-8, but that also need to handle UTF-8
text. It is not clear to me that such situations are hopeless or that
they cannot be improved.

The prescription offered follows what you suggest. The first three
cases are are all of the "use Unicode!" variety. The distinction
between the third and the fourth is to relegate use of a BOM as an
encoding signature to the last resort option. The intent is to make it
clear, with stronger motivation than is currently present in the Unicode
standard, that use of a BOM in UTF-8 is not a best practice today.

Tom.