Re: [SG16] Draft proposal: Clarify guidance for use of a BOM as a UTF-8 encoding signature

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 23:37:04 -0400
On 10/11/20 11:32 PM, JF Bastien wrote:
> It’s a bit odd: if you assume the default is ascii then you don’t need
> this. If you assume the default is utf8 then you don’t need this... so
> when do you need the BOM? It seems like making bad prior choices more
> acceptable... even though they were bad choices. I’m not sure it’s a
> good idea.

A BOM would be needed when:

 1. The default encoding is ASCII based (ISO-8859-1, Windows-1252,
    etc...) and the UTF-8 text to be produced contains non-ASCII
    characters. Or,
 2. The default encoding is not ASCII based (e.g., EBCDIC).

Both of these cases presume that the default encoding can't be made
UTF-8 for backward compatibility reasons.

Tom.