Re: [SG16] P2194R0 The character set of C++ source code is Unicode

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 09:37:12 -0400
On 9/8/20 10:09 AM, Peter Brett via SG16 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If you have already formulated any comments or suggestions with regard to this
> paper, I'd really appreciate that you share them now so that I have the chance
> to think about them in advance of tomorrow's SG16 meeting.

If there is consensus to move in this direction, then we should discuss
wording strategy. As is, the proposed wording creates a hole in the
standard by removing the formation of implicit
/universal-character-name/s. Grammar terms like identifier-nondigit will
need updates to recognize non-/universal-character-name/s outside the
basic source character set. identifier-non-digit is currently defined as:

    identifier-nondigit:
         nondigit
         universal-character-name

    nondigit: one of
         a b c d e f g h i j k l m
         n o p q r s t u v w x y z
         A B C D E F G H I J K L M
         N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z _

Similar updates will be needed for /c-char/ and /s-char/, and possibly
for /r-char/, /h-char/, and /q-char/. An audit of
/universal-character-name/ would likely reveal where additional updates
would be needed.

Tom.