Re: [SG16] P2194R0 The character set of C++ source code is Unicode

From: Alisdair Meredith <alisdairm_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 12:54:15 -0400
Looking into the wording more deeply, you are going to have to address
the notion of characters in identifiers, if you are no longer mapping into
UCNs, so we can no longer rely on non-digit handling that mapping for
us.

This is probably best addressed in terms of
   http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1949r5.html <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p1949r5.html>
rather than trying for a different fix that will roll into that later.

Note that I was looking into a much more limited requirement to merely
requiore support for UTF-8 encoded source files as a well-speficied
mapping, rather than switching to unicode as the replacement for the
basic source character set. Once P1945 is adopted, I will have an
easier time buying into this paper, but in isolation is raises too many
tricky questions for me about unicode text in surprising places. I
suspect we will need a deeper review of the grammar around identiiers
and other tokens to flush all the issues out - which is largely what P1945
does!

AlisdairM