Re: [SG16] New draft revision: D2029R2 (Proposed resolution for core issues 411, 1656, and 2333; numeric and universal character escapes in character and string literals)

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 07:31:34 +0200
On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 06:49, Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 6/30/20 12:15 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020, 05:52 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/20 2:03 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 07:37, Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:

>>> I really like the overall direction, a few comments:
>>> - Can we not make conditionally supported escape sequences part of the
>>> grammar?
>>>
>> This was requested by Core in the 2020-01-16 issues processing telecon
>> <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21prague/IssuesProcessingTeleconference2020-01-16>
>> .
>>

>> What I would do:
>> simple-escape-sequence:
>> any member of the basic source character set other than u, U, x, and
>> the members of octal-digit
>>
>> And in 5.13, keep
>> Escape sequences not listed in Table 9 are conditionally supported, with
>> implementation-defined semantics
>>
>> What problem would that solve?
>>

> Not having separated grammar for non standard features, simpler grammar.
>
> I prefer the current approach in the paper, but I have no objection to
> doing what you suggest if the CWG expresses such a preference.
>

>>> - Can we not add notes for stateful encodings? It doesn't add anything.
>>>
>> Stateful encodings were discussed in the 2020-03-23 issues processing
>> telecon
>> <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21summer2020/IssuesProcessingTeleconference2020-03-23>
>> .
>>

> Sure, it is still a level of detail that doesn't add anything. I would
> like to avoid people in 30 years wondering why that this sentences are here.
>
> Stateful encodings are still a thing. They may still be a thing in 30
> years.

I am not saying they aren't and wouldn't be, I am saying that the current
wording was enough for that to be implemented correctly while the new
wording does not.

> -- Wide multi character literals were not a thing, let's not make them one
>>> now. same for conditional character literals and conditional wide
>>> character literals.
>>>
>>> Instead, please add text in (Z) to describe them?
>>> ie:
>>>
>>> -ordinary and wide characters literal consisting of a single
>>> basic-c-char, simple-escape-sequence, or universal-character-name that
>>> specifies a character that either lacks representation in the associated
>>> character encoding or that cannot be encoded as a single code unit
>>> are conditionally supported and have an implementation-defined value
>>> - A wide character literal consisting of multiple c-chars is
>>> conditionally-supported and has an implementation-defined value.
>>>
>> Giving these odd literals a name was suggested by Core. I agree with
>> their suggested direction; giving them a name makes it easier to discuss
>> and define them.
>>

> No, especially wide multi characters that are simply not a thing, let's
> not make them one. The reason multi character literals exists and have a
> name is because their type is different from character literals.
>
> They are a thing in C (see WG14 N2176 (the final draft WP before C18)
> 6.4.4.4, "Character constants", p11). I believe their omission in C++ is
> just an oversight. Compilers support them. I think they are a thing and
> giving them a name is useful.
>
> They don't have a name in C either

> Should I send a mail to core? Because I really do not like that direction.
> (Especially as what you call wide multi character literal doesn't behave at
> all as multi character literals). We should also look at making them ill
> formed rather than giving them a name
>
> Arguably, you have already sent that mail to Core :)

Haha indeed, nice :)

> I don't know what behavioral difference you are concerned about. The
> primary reason for differentiating them is to allow the multicharacter case
> to be ill-formed (conditionally-supported) and/or to have an encoding that
> differs from single c-char literals.
>
> I think the standard should reflect existing practice. These odd literals
> are supported in common compilers. If you would like to make them
> ill-formed, you are certainly free to write a paper, but implementations
> are already free to make them ill-formed and I suspect the ones that don't
> would retain support for them as an extension anyway.

I am very concerned about giving names to anti features that didn't have a
name for the past 30 years, especially those that are not used and were
previously not a thing in C++ ( i guess we disagree on our reading on the C
standard). I am not concerned about behavior changes
Describing them in a bullet point, rather than in this table keep the table
readable and meaning full and leave us with the following features:

* ordinary/wide/utf character literal
* multi character literal

Which is then mostly symmetric with the table for strings.
The bullet point then describes these odds behaviors, which again is not a
behavior change. We are just talking about naming and presentation.

(multi character literal does need a name, both because it always had one,
and because it has a different type - also it is also somewhat used)

>>> Please change
>>> The sequence of characters denoted by each contiguous sequence of
>>> basic-s-chars, r-chars, simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and
>>> universal-character-names ([lex.charset]) is encoded to a code unit sequence
>>> Each basic-s-chars, r-chars, simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and
>>> universal-character-names ([lex.charset]) is encoded to a code unit sequence
>>>
>> The intent is to make it clear that these sequences are encoded as a
>> group. This is necessary for stateful encodings with SI/SO characters
>> since such characters don't necessarily contribute a code unit sequence on
>> their own. This was also requested during the 2020-03-23 issues
>> processing telecon
>> <https://wiki.edg.com/bin/view/Wg21summer2020/IssuesProcessingTeleconference2020-03-23>
>> .
>>

> The effect is that I can encode things like e,U+0301 as a single code
> unit, which at the very least should not be allowed in a wording change.
>
> Please read the wording again. I don't think it states that. If you
> still think it does, please elaborate in detail.

 You use the term character ( which in this context is synonym of abstract
character)
 The sequence of *characters* denoted by *each contiguous sequence *of
basic-s-chars, r-chars, simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and
universal-character-names ([lex.charset]) is encoded to a code unit
sequence using the string-literal's associated character encoding. If a
*character* lacks [...]

Maybe : Each codepoint denoted by a single basic-s-chars, r-chars,
simple-escape-sequences ([lex.ccon]), and universal-character-names is
encoded to a code unit sequence using the string-literal's associated
character encoding. If that codepoint lacks representation in the
associated character encoding,

Note that codepoint isn't particularly meaningful in this context , could
be "element", for example. The point is the sequence is not converted as a
whole.
Changing that is design ( I don't have a terribly strong opinion either
way, but it needs to be discussed outside of core, notably because it would
allow implementation to handle combining characters differently).

> It's also a terrible reason as c-char and UCNs are Unicode characters at
> this point and cannot correspond to a statefull character as the source of
> the conversation. The thing they are converted to being an implementation
> defined sequencee of code unit, the possibility of a state shift is implied.
>
> What are you referring to as a "terrible reason"?

That
> The intent is to make it clear that these sequences are encoded as a
group. This is necessary for stateful encodings with SI/SO characters
since such characters don't necessarily contribute a code unit sequence on
their own

Either:
 - These characters appear as ucn and they should in fact contribute to a
code unit sequence
 - They are used as part of a stateful source encoding and would have not
been conserved past phase 1.

> SI/SO characters exist in Unicode and can therefore be represented as
> UCNs. In translation phase 5, an implementation can treat them as part of
> a shift sequence when converting to the execution encoding.

Again that is a design change

>>> - please replace applicable character encoding by character encoding
>>>
>> That doesn't seem correct to me; the wording needs to indicate which
>> character encoding. Note that there are three occurrences of "applicable
>> associated character encoding"; I'm not sure which use you were referring
>> to.
>>

> Missed a word. Sorry. Meant associated character encoding. "Applicable
> associated" doesn't add anything. Maybe the "the literal associated
> encoding"
>
> That says the same thing to me. If CWG expresses a preference, I'll
> change it.

Yes it does, just trying to be consistent in terminology. associated
literal encoding is consistent and what sg16 has been using (including you,
maybe you came up with that term :p)