Re: [SG16] Emojis in identifiers

From: Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:18:38 -0400
I'll see if I can put together a list that makes sense of what characters
are being removed by UAX 31 and the current Unicode database against the
current list.

For emoji, I think it's also probably not clear to people who don't handle
text just how complicated they are. Simply allowing class Emoji would be
utterly insufficient. The regex for checking if something _might_ be a
valid emoji, per the Unicode standard:

\p{RI} \p{RI}
| \p{Emoji}
  ( \p{EMod}
  | \x{FE0F} \x{20E3}?
  | [\x{E0020}-\x{E007E}]+ \x{E007F} )?
  (\x{200D} \p{Emoji}
    ( \p{EMod}
    | \x{FE0F} \x{20E3}?
    | [\x{E0020}-\x{E007E}]+ \x{E007F} )?
  )*

http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#Emoji_Sequences
I believe cutting off all of the extension mechanisms for emoji , such
as for gender or skin tone, to be unacceptable. However the
implementation cost in the lexer would be quite high.