Re: [SG16] Emojis in identifiers

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:08:50 +0200
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 20:55, Jens Maurer via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> So, it seems we would increase consensus in EWG if we
> added emojis to the valid identifier characters.
>
> That also gets us zero-width joiners (ZWJ):
> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#gender-neutral
>
> but maybe we can limit the fall-out by allowing ZWJ
> only inside of sequences of emojis, although I hate
> to burden compilers with even more special rules around
> the source code text (beyond NFC).

*If* C++, should support emojis,
I think a reasonable solution would be to refer to the sequences in these
files

https://www.unicode.org/Public/emoji/13.0/emoji-sequences.txt
https://www.unicode.org/Public/emoji/13.0/emoji-zwj-sequences.txt

( as per http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/#def_rgi_set )

No idea how that can be worded nor whether it is reasonable
I am surprised emoji support would increase consensus (but the consensus
was quite strong)