Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] Seeking guidance on use, overloading, or overriding of terms used in normative references

From: JeanHeyd Meneide <phdofthehouse_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:04:49 -0400
I would greatly prefer the definition you wrote rather than the 10646
definition. My working definition for text encodings is that a code
point is a value in the codespace of your defined character set
(through the encoding object), and your code unit is the individual
objects that make up an encoded code point. Encodings can traffic
things into and out of UCS, but they can also traffic things into and
out of other character sets.

Restriction to the UCS -- and the restrictions of ISO 10646 -- are
prohibitive to growth in this area and requiring every library section
thereafter to have to mark up and explain that this is a special code
point that is not exactly like the 10646 code point is not useful and
we should override the definition in [intro.defs].