Re: [SG16] Agreeing with Corentin's point re: problem with strict use of abstract characters

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:52:42 -0400
On 6/15/20 12:17 PM, Corentin Jabot wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 17:49, Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 6/15/20 4:18 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 08:40 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
>> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/14/20 6:53 PM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>>>

>>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Tom Honermann
>>> <tom_at_[hidden] <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

>>> I've been thinking along those lines as well. I've been
>>> considering a model in which an
>>> /extended-source-character/ is introduced in phase 1 and
>>> then, in phase 3, all /extended-source-character/s
>>> outside of raw string literals are converted to
>>> /universal-character-name/s.
>>>

>>> I would really love it if someone could explain to me the
>>> value of introducing /universal-character-name/s (or
>>> /extended-source-character/) etc in the internal representation,
>>> instead of unicode codepoints, knowing that these
>>> things represent unicode codepoints.
>>
>> I find the UCN mechanism to be quite elegant. It
>> simultaneously accomplishes several things:
>>
>> 1. It allows the source language, as seen by all phases of
>> translation after phase 1 (except for the magical revert
>> for raw string literals) to be completely and abstractly
>> defined by characters defined in the standard. An
>> implementation's internal representation only needs to
>> differentiate 96 characters. I don't need to know how to
>> type, write, read, or pronounce ሴ; I just need to know
>> what \u1234 represents (abstractly; from a language
>> perspective, I probably don't care what character it denotes)
>>

>> There is no difference between \u1234 and U+1234
> I haven't understood your direction as encoding the sequence of
> characters 'U', '+', '1', '2', '3', '4' where UCNs are produced
> today (if that were your direction, then I agree that the only
> difference here is spelling). I think you have a different mental
> model in mind in which the internal representation encodes what
> today are UCNs in some unspecified encoding form that does not
> serialize the code point value as text. I don't see what that
> fixes from a standard perspective. I think the current design is
> more elegant because it doesn't require translating explicitly
> written UCNs to code points encoded in some unspecified internal
> representation.
>

> My approach would be to not transform verbatim escape sequences until
> the tokenization in phase 3, such that we would not have to revert
> that operation for string literals
Verbatim escape sequences are never transformed at present (well, not
until they are encoded in literals at phase 5).
> universal escape sequence can then appear
> * in character literals
> * non raw string literals
> * pp-number, pp-identifier
> * header names
> * UDLs
>
> This avoid losing the distinction in phase 1 and keep phase 1 simple

What grammar production are you using to carry extended characters
through phase 1?

In phase 3, how do you intend to lex tokens before transforming extended
characters? There is a chicken/egg problem there.

Tom.