Re: [SG16] Agreeing with Corentin's point re: problem with strict use of abstract characters

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 11:49:14 -0400
On 6/15/20 4:18 AM, Corentin Jabot wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 08:40 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 6/14/20 6:53 PM, Corentin Jabot wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 at 00:36, Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
>> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>>
>> On 6/14/20 6:21 PM, Hubert Tong wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM Tom Honermann via SG16
>>> <sg16_at_[hidden] <mailto:sg16_at_[hidden]>> wrote:

>>> My reading of that aligns with Jens' interpretation. An
>>> abstract character can be composed from abstract
>>> characters. The emphasized statement above appears to
>>> reaffirm that.

>>> Likewise here, these examples indicate that an abstract
>>> character may have multiple encoded representations, but
>>> I don't read this as precluding the indicated code
>>> points reflecting abstract characters on their own.
>>>
>>> It seems that, because we are not looking at a model where
>>> we retain coded characters in their original form for as
>>> long as possible, we're dealing with certain issues in
>>> larger scopes than may be strictly necessary. Are we sure
>>> that the same text processing should occur for the entirety
>>> of the source? In other words, should we consider more
>>> context-dependent (e.g., specific to raw strings, specific
>>> to identifiers, etc.) text processing?
>>
>> I've been thinking along those lines as well. I've been
>> considering a model in which an /extended-source-character/
>> is introduced in phase 1 and then, in phase 3, all
>> /extended-source-character/s outside of raw string literals
>> are converted to /universal-character-name/s.
>>

>> I would really love it if someone could explain to me the value
>> of introducing /universal-character-name/s (or
>> /extended-source-character/) etc in the internal representation,
>> instead of unicode codepoints, knowing that these
>> things represent unicode codepoints.
>
> I find the UCN mechanism to be quite elegant. It simultaneously
> accomplishes several things:
>
> 1. It allows the source language, as seen by all phases of
> translation after phase 1 (except for the magical revert for
> raw string literals) to be completely and abstractly defined
> by characters defined in the standard. An implementation's
> internal representation only needs to differentiate 96
> characters. I don't need to know how to type, write, read, or
> pronounce ሴ; I just need to know what \u1234 represents
> (abstractly; from a language perspective, I probably don't
> care what character it denotes)
>

> There is no difference between \u1234 and U+1234
I haven't understood your direction as encoding the sequence of
characters 'U', '+', '1', '2', '3', '4' where UCNs are produced today
(if that were your direction, then I agree that the only difference here
is spelling). I think you have a different mental model in mind in
which the internal representation encodes what today are UCNs in some
unspecified encoding form that does not serialize the code point value
as text. I don't see what that fixes from a standard perspective. I
think the current design is more elegant because it doesn't require
translating explicitly written UCNs to code points encoded in some
unspecified internal representation.

> 1.
>

> 2. It allows explicit encoding of Unicode code points regardless
> of the encoding of the source input.
>
> I am not arguing against the presence of verbatim escape sequences in
> source
I know that. I'm just listing it as one of my perceived benefits of
UCNs and how they solve a number of distinct issues.

> 1.
>

> 2. It enables source input to use extended characters with no
> special support beyond phase 1 (well, beyond phase 3 because
> of raw string literals).
>
> What does special support means?
It means that the standard does not have to have separate rules for
handling them post phase 1 (really phase 3).

> 1. It enables an escape from Unicode should such an escape prove
> necessary (e.g., to support those EBCDIC control characters,
> or to encode whether a UCN was explicit in the source or the
> result of character conversion, or to encode which of the
> possible Shift-JIS code points a character was written in).
> Yes, such an escape could always be introduced anyway. And
> yes, these are edge cases, some of which are probably not
> deserving of support.
>

> The standard is explicit about there not being any observable
> difference outside of raw literal
Yes, and Hubert has claimed that the existing wording is deficient in
this area because it doesn't reflect existing practice (e.g., those
EBCDIC control characters).

> 1.
>

>> It would be so much simpler to map the source physical characters
>> (using existing terminology so nobody gets confused) to unicode
>> code points in phase 1 and then replace universal
>> character-names that appear as escape sequence in non-raw string
>> and character literals, as well as header names, pp-identifier
>> and pp-number later on when parsing pp-tokens in phase 3 (which
>> would allow filtering out raw literals at that point)
> It seems like we're converging towards do-something-in-phase-1 and
> then do-something-further-in-phase-3. Good. But mapping to code
> points assumes a bijective mapping between source input characters
> and Unicode and we know we don't have that in all cases today.
> The idea of an /extended-source-character/ is that it could carry
> additional implementation-defined information (e.g., the actual
> code unit value(s) for a source input character).
>

> I don't think anything in the wording says that today, nor do I think
> there would be any value for that

The standard implies it today by requiring reversion of phase 1 in raw
string literals. This approach (which, admittedly, is not at all well
described yet) would provide a way of tracking source input details that
are not reflected by code point values by themselves.

Tom.