Re: [SG16] Agreeing with Corentin's point re: problem with strict use of abstract characters

From: Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:44:33 -0400
On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 3:00 AM Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 15/06/2020 00.06, Hubert Tong wrote:
> > The presence of a UCN for a C1 (non-EBCDIC) control character in a
> supposedly-EBCDIC string is not immediately indicative of an error.
> In this example, is the UCN intending to mean the conventionally mapped
> EBCDIC control character, or something else?

In the non-error scenario I presented, the UCN is intending to mean the C1
control character in ISO-8859-1. The string becomes encoded in EBCDIC-1047
as a proxy for ISO-8859-1. The application is run in an environment where
its output is converted (following the same conventional mapping) from
EBCDIC-1047 to ISO-8859-1.

In other words, the compiler does not know whether an "EBCDIC" string would
be used for its "EBCDIC value".