Re: [SG16] Terminology

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 11:02:59 +0200
My understanding of abstract character was incorrect, here is a
clarification from the Unicode Mailing list:

*Now the abstract character A-diaresis (Ä) is encoded by a single code
point and also has a canonically equivalent representation by a combining
sequence. In effect, the whole sequence "encodes" a single abstract
character, but that is formally not how Unicode defines it.A diaeresis is a
recognizable item of the writing system; if used as an umlaut, it tends to
act as a decoration of character that is more-or-less seen as a new entity
(particularly in Swedish) and less a modified letter A. If used as a
diaeresis, it acts more like a punctuation mark that has a function of its
own (forcing separate pronunciation). Even though it's graphically applied
to a vowel, it can be understood as its own abstract character.*

*Treating the diaeresis as its own independent abstract character makes
logical and not just formal sense. That may not be the case equally for all
types of diacritical marks. However, since they can all be named, and thus
arguably exist as their own concepts at least on a descriptive level, it
becomes effectively a non-problem.*

*The way combining marks are treated in other scripts, they can all be on
different points of the scale as logically independent entities, and some
are even on different points of the scale in terms of graphically combining
(they may be graphically indistinguishable from regular spacing letters).*

*To recap, an "abstract" character is a conceptual character, something
that forms the atom of a writing system (smallest divisible particle) as
viewed from the process of encoding, which associates with it a single code
point. "Abstract" characters may exist that are not encoded; and some of
them can be analyzed as series of smaller abstract characters, and thus be
represented as code point sequences.Some abstract characters are more like
small molecules; they can be encoded as such, or they can also have a more
atomic sequence that represents them. The rationale for allowing this dual
nature is historical compatibility, not logical necessity, hence the model
is in some ways not "pure" (just practical).*