Re: [SG16] Terminology

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:45:34 +0200
On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 21:35, Peter Brett via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> - Encoding of command-line arguments; [basic.start.main]p2.2
> <http://eel.is/c++draft/basic.start.main#2.2>
> - Encoding of environment variables; [support.runtime]p2
> <http://eel.is/c++draft/support.runtime#2>

Let me simplify:
Each piece of text coming from an underlying system or platform has an
encoding associated to it (this is deeply tautologic), the way that
encoding is determined is often locale dependent, or platform dependent.
This includes environment variables (if they are text), arguments, file
names ( except files names may not be text), pipes (if they are text),
consoles (of which there may be several), etc