Re: [SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow (Wednesday, 2020-06-10)

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 22:59:31 +0200
On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 22:17, Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 1:01 PM Corentin Jabot via SG16 <
> sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 at 18:45, Steve Downey <sdowney_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> One thing I have realized while working on identifiers is that after
>>> conversion from whatever the sources are, lexing and parsing are symbolic.
>>> That is, 'a' doesn't have a value until it's rendered into a literal. That
>>> is " The values of the members of the execution character sets and the
>>> sets of additional members are locale-specific.
>>> <http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.charset#3.sentence-5>"
>>> http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.charset#3.sentence-5 really only comes into
>>> play when rendering the "execution character set" into a characters or
>>> strings. The execution character set and the source character set exist in
>>> the same logical space right now, and the "source character set" isn't what
>>> is in source files today.
>>>

>> Yep, and they don't have to have a value either. identifiers are not
>> sorted etc.
>> Everything in lex is symbolic anyway the phases don't exist in practice.
>> However, the international representation being isomorphic to Unicode, it
>> would be possible to describe in term of unicode with no observable
>> behavior change.
>>
> I would like to allow characters not present in Unicode within character
> literals, string literals, comments, and header names. More abstractly, I
> would like to allow source -> encoding-used-for-output conversion.

Do you have an example of a use case you want to support?
There are 3 scenarios:

   - The character exists in no digital encoding yet - that is the paper
   implementation case - nothing that we can do. you can't have Klingon in
   your C++.
   - The character exists in a digital encoding but not in Unicode. This
   represents a small number of the Big5 encodings characters, almost all
   pertaining to places and people names. Unicode documents a mapping for
   windows's Big5 code page.
   - The character has a non-unique mapping to unicode, such as a
   conversion source -> unicode -> execution might be different from a
   conversion source->execution. In this case an implementation can convert
   source -> execution directly (taking care of UCNS and other escape
   sequences) - as it is otherwise not observable. This use case is actually
   common and important, notably for Shift-JIS and ambiguities introduced by
   Han Unification.