Re: [SG16] Fwd: Making wide-character literals containing multiple c-char ill-formed

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 15:48:44 -0400
On 6/1/20 1:28 PM, Corentin via SG16 wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, 18:55 Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:tom_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 6/1/20 5:13 AM, Corentin via SG16 wrote:

I think our discussion via Slack got us on the same page; that
implementation-defined does not permit rejection and that C lacks a
conditionally-supported concept.

>> Since the wide character set is implementation-defined, I
>> don't think we should attempt to make L'é' ill-formed,
>> regardless of any Unicode normalization concerns. If the
>> implementation-defined wide character set is able to
>> represent the specified character in a single code unit, I
>> think that is ok and that there is little motivation to break
>> existing code.
>>
>> It is already a warning in all implementations and the value is
>> 'e' regardless of whether they can represent ACUTE ACCENT
>> or LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACCUTE
>
> I'm suspicious of your claim that you checked all implementations ;)
>
> Can you share your method of testing?
>
> https://godbolt.org/z/gZm4Ic

The command line for MSVC is missing /source-charset:utf-8 (and it is
relevant for this example).

I see a different result. Gcc and Clang both accept that test case with
the following static asserts. It looks like they use the value of the
last code unit.

     static_assert(x == wchar_t(0x0301));
     static_assert(y == wchar_t(0x0002));
     static_assert(z == wchar_t(0x0301));

MSVC and Icc both accept with the following static asserts; it looks
like they use the first code unit.

     static_assert(x == wchar_t(0x0065));
     static_assert(y == wchar_t(0x0001));
     static_assert(z == wchar_t(0x0065));