Re: [SG16] Conversion of grapheme clusters to (wide) execution encoding

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:13:43 +0200
On Mon, Jun 1, 2020, 16:04 Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 5:22 AM Corentin via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 at 09:48, Peter Brett <pbrett_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Out of the 5 options laid out, I feel it would be best to make it
>>> ill-formed. The source code author's intent is (at best) ambiguous, and
>>> the onus should not be placed on the compiler to try to make it work. The
>>> status quo allows for programs to be broken in surprising ways.
>>>

>> I think you might be right.
>> Especially given making it work add implementation burden for the sake of
>> legacy encodings and there is a somewhat easy fix: nfc normalize your
>> sources.
>>
> Wait, does this apply to u, U, and u8 strings? Users can't have
> non-NFC-normalized strings?

Well, that was the original question:
If the source is nfd normalized, and the execution encoding is not a
Unicode encoding, what should be done about combining characters?

And yes, normalizing the source does not preserve Unicode literals.

Question is, is that a reasonable work around?

As for normalization, I am writing wording to make sure normalization is
preserved in phase 1 when applicable.