Re: [SG16] Reminder: SG16 telecon tomorrow (Wednesday, 2020-05-27)

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 01:36:34 -0400
On 5/27/20 12:08 AM, Steve Downey via SG16 wrote:
> With respect to P1859:
> -Basic source character set
> -: The abstract characters that must be representable in the
> _character set_ used for source code
> +Source character set
> +: The abstract characters that must be representable in the internal
> _character set_ used after phase 1 of translation. All characters not
> in the source character set are converted to
> universal-character-names, which are made up of characters from the
> basic character set. The abstract parser only sees characters in the
> source character set.
>
> There is no "Basic" source character set. There is the character set
> the lexer and parser uses that is available after the implementation
> defined conversion from whatever was presented as source.
> I don't think anyone understands that, outside CWG.

I'm not sure I'm following. The standard does define /basic source
character set/ in [lex.charset]p1
<http://eel.is/c++draft/lex.charset#1>. Are you proposing that it be
renamed to just /source character set/?

I think we will need a term for the encoding of source files. We could
use /source file encoding/ for that, but I'm a little concerned about
these two terms being confused.

> Having more precision around the values emitted into narrow, wide, and
> uN literals from the execution character set, and what happens when
> that fails I still believe would be useful.
I think P2029 may address that.

> Perhaps for 26 we could rewrite entirely in terms of processing code
> points and occasionally "orginal spelling". It would be nice if the
> logical model was closer to what the physical model is.

Why wait for 26? :)

Tom.