Re: [SG16] Multiple combining characters and P1949R3: C++ Identifier Syntax using Unicode Standard Annex 31

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 15:17:23 -0400
On 5/5/20 2:36 AM, Jens Maurer via SG16 wrote:
> On 05/05/2020 08.34, Jens Maurer via SG16 wrote:

>>> (Did I mention I hate HTML e-mails?)
Especially when presentation like that affects the semantics of the text :(

>>> The proposed wording does not attempt to make this example well-formed,
>>> assuming that a combining character is not in XID_Continue.
>>> (Please check me on the latter.)
>> That's wrong. UAX#31 says XID_Continue is ID_Continue with
>> a few (enumerated) exceptions.
>> https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/tr31-33.html#NFKC_Modifications
That section discusses NFKC, not NFC. I don't think it is applicable to
our intents.
> ... and ID_Continue includes combining characters.
It would be rather restrictive if it didn't :)

>>> When we preprocess accent(A),
>>> we perform A ## \u0300
>>> which becomes A\u0300
>>> which is not a (single) preprocessing token
>>> (because \u0300 is not in XID_Continue, so this is not an identifier,
>>> and none of the other kinds in [lex.pptoken] matches)
>> So, this argument must become "which is lexed as
>> an /identifier/ preprocessing token, and then immediately
>> rejected because
>> "The program is ill-formed if an identifier does not conform
>> to the NFC normalization specified in ISO/IEC 10646."

Agreed for that example. But for the other example I provided, the
resulting identifier (if lexed such that|\u0300\u0327| produces a single
preprocessor token) is in NFC since there is no precomposed character
for a capital letter A with grave and cedilla. Do we believe that that
example should be well-formed?

>> And since UAX#31 actually specifies XID_Continue and
>> ID_Continue, not UAX#44, we need to make our reference
>> to UAX#31 normative and the reference to UAX#44
>> informative (bibliography).
>>
>> Also, the normative text should refer to UAX#31, not UAX#44.

I don't think that is correct. I believe UAX#44 does define the
XID_Start and XID_Continue properties; UAX#31 provides some
informational context for why they are defined as they are.

Tom.