Re: [SG16] [isocpp-core] Renaming universal-character-name

From: Tom Honermann <tom_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 12:51:49 -0500
> On Feb 29, 2020, at 9:46 AM, Lyberta via SG16 <sg16_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Tom Honermann via SG16:
>> we had general consensus (we didn't poll) for renaming /universal-character-name/ to /unicode-code-point/
>
> As usual, if we don't allow surrogates there, I strongly propose
> /unicode-scalar-value/ instead.

I know you prefer the /scalar value/ term, but /code point/ is preferred by many as being less obscure, more general, and (importantly) not wrong. I think it is ok to use /code point/ with a restriction that surrogate values are not allowed even if /scalar value/ would express that constraint more succinctly.

Regardless, unless someone writes a paper, this rename won’t be pursued. (See the meeting summary fir this week’s SG16 telecon at https://github.com/sg16-unicode/sg16-meetings/blob/master/README.md#february-26th-2020)

Tom.