Subject: Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] Source file encoding
From: Thiago Macieira (thiago_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-08-14 18:33:58

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 16:02:15 PDT Niall Douglas wrote:
> > You make it for the file in question, not the translation unit. That means
> > it won't affect #includes and terminates at the end of your #inclusion.
> I'd like a #pragma encoding binary, which means do no interpretation of
> the following as text at all.

That won't work for anything except narrow characters. How do you do a binary
translation from source eto:

  char16_t c16[] = u"something";
  char32_t c32[] = U"something";

> Useful for a poor man's std::embed, I reckon. Especially for C.

Right, but std::embed should have its own semantic, regardless of text
interpretation. It just imports bytes, period. That is orthogonal to the
encoding of the source code that called std::embed().