Re: [SG16-Unicode] [isocpp-core] What is the proper term for the locale dependent run-time character set/encoding used for the character classification and conversion functions?

From: Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:49:11 +0200
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019, 4:46 AM Tony V E <tvaneerd_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Corentin Jabot <corentinjabot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 at 14:52, Ville Voutilainen <
>> ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> non unicode encoded files
>>>
>>> But presumably not the ones that look like u8"\U1234" ?
>>>

>> Yes, there is no reason to disallow that as It can't be misinterpreted by
>> neither the compiler or people (and quite a lot of code would needlessly
>> break)
>>

> I find your lack of faith in people's ability to misinterpret something
> disturbing.
> :-)

😁 (Challenging your mail client)

\Uxxxx is unambiguous.

u8"é" is ambiguous. Both people and the compiler may interpret that in a
variety of ways. Notably if I have utf-8 in that file, which I wrote on
Linux, but then the msvc compiler thinks it's windows 1252...
Mojibake.

People also seem to be confused

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23471935/how-are-u8-literals-supposed-to-work