Re: [SG16-Unicode] Namespaces

From: Corentin <corentin.jabot_at_[hidden]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 23:43:06 +0100
On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 at 22:12 Lyberta <lyberta_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ranges has made a precedent that we can provide better versions of old
> functions by putting them into a separate namespace. It is general
> consensus that almost all current text related function are obsolete. We
> should consider a namespace for new ones.
>
> I think std::text fits this. This namespace would contain functions that
> are modern and can properly support Unicode (and other encodings!).

i think we are trying to limit the support for non unicode encodings to
transcoding.
Unicode sandwich and all

> There is also a precedent of my proposal and D1628 having separate
> namespace specifically for Unicode. Generally speaking, Unicode is a
> subset of text processing so in mathematical sense it would be obvious
> to put unicode namespace as std::text::unicode but here I agree that it
> is too much typing.

You will find that LEWG will push strongly against that.
I agree we need _one_ namespace - it's will be a very hard sell.
Nested namespace is very unlikely to reach consensus.
So would be 2 non-nested namespaces