Re: [isocpp-sg15] [P2758] Emitting messages at compile time

From: Herb Sutter <herb.sutter_at_[hidden]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 10:07:55 -0700
Me:
> > > Some of us will be asking for general compile-time I/O, or
> > > at least O (output), in a consteval function. For example […]

Corentin:
> > None of the novel reflection features have deployment experience and a
> > lot of that hasn't been implemented. […] Maybe we can take it one step
> > at a time?

Matthias:
> I agree and disagree. The important point Herb is making is that these
> features are related. Consequently, it is useful to keep the bigger picture in
> mind while working on one aspect of compile-time I/O.

^^ this [puns intended]

I'm not asking for "all of it now." I'm reminding that there will be demand and need for it, so we should please keep that in mind as a North Star, as we design and ship intermediate steps along the way (as we're doing with all of reflection+generation, and as we have been doing with constexpr).

> Regarding additional output files from compilers: This isn't novel. What is
> novel is that the C++ source gets more say in the content of such files.

^^ this too :)

Herb