Re: [isocpp-sg15] [P2758] Emitting messages at compile time

From: Ville Voutilainen <ville.voutilainen_at_[hidden]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 21:05:56 +0300
On Tue, 22 Oct 2024 at 20:47, Barry Revzin via SG15
<sg15_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > We already have a distinction between #error and #warning, how is this any different?
>> > constexpr_print just outputs a message at compile time (which you've said is fine).
>>
>> Because it adds another layer of distinction (constexpr_print_str)
>> which may or may not make sense to any given implementation. In Clang
>> specifically, is that a note or a remark? (There are problems with
>> whichever one we pick, so it'd probably be an entirely new thing, but
>> none of our users have actually asked for something like that, at
>> least that I'm aware of.)
>

> I've been thinking of how you expect me to respond to this, and I'm still not entirely sure. You're not aware of ANY of your users having asked for something like this? Not even the user who is asking for something like this so hard that he wrote a paper, took it through several groups, and got strong (nearly unanimous) consensus for its adoption?

For the equivalents of constexpr_error and constexpr_warning, I'm sure
some have asked. It wouldn't surprise me at all if none asked for an
equivalent
of constexpr_print. It prints into the compilers output but it's
thoroughly unclear how the usual mechanisms for controlling the
compiler's output should
or even could affect it.