Re: [isocpp-sg15] [P2758] Emitting messages at compile time

From: Bret Brown <mail_at_[hidden]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2024 18:50:23 -0400
I'm supportive of efforts to help library maintainers and users communicate
better, so I like it broadly.

I would like to see some field describing the author of the diagnostic,
though.

If `-Wall` was fully open to extension, I might need to disallow the entire
flag from my codebase, unfortunately. It's already sort of breaking
deprecation workflows that `-Werror=all` hard errors on any usage of `[[
deprecated ]]`. Given that erroring on every usage of a deprecated entity,
library authors might as well just delete the deprecated API. I anticipate
similar issues with warnings coming from libraries, especially on the
initial release of any toolchains that allow libraries to add -
`-Wall` warnings in particular.

So I am thinking that it might be inappropriate to identify these issues in
the same category as toolchains provided diagnostics. Note that this
concept of diagnostic issues is modeled in interop standards, like SARIF
that was been discussed in SG-15 this summer. Each warning and error is
attributable to a specific "driver" like GCC or clang-tidy. So I would
expect each author of a given message would do well to self-identity using
the name of the relevant project. Then it would be clear that the project
"foobar" is emitting a warning and that the compiler is just the messenger.
As others in this thread have stated, users would likely like to be able to
enable, suppress, and prioritize in groups as well.

Conceptually, we also should keep in mind that the `-W` flag has a
namespace and toolchains need to add more warnings to it as they see the
need. This is similar to how languages tend to reserve symbol names and
entire namespaced for themselves. If we allowed any arbitrary line of code
to change the quality of implementation of `-Wsomething`, then the
toolchain would have to figure out another way to express scope for built
in warnings names (A new flag? Namespaced warnings?). And existing users
(build system scripts and configurations) would be disrupted as they find
out that they needed to express whether they want the open-for-extension
`-Wsomething` or the one the toolchains supports and describes in its docs.

I don't expect that to be well received. I predict instead that `-Wall`
wouldn't go anywhere. I could see some other flag being invented for this,
especially if it has some notion of scope so different libraries can
identify their warnings without worrying about warning name collisions.
Ideally library authors would scope warnings with their library name (since
they're providing diagnostics, not the compiler) and then an identifier. To
pick an arbitrary flag spelling (`-XYZ`) and an arbitrary library name
(`foobar`), something like `-XYZerror=foobar` or
`-XYZno-error=foobar::sizes-must-be-divisible-by-sixteen` could work.
Possibly even `-XYZerror=*::all`. And the driver in something like SARIF
could show "foobar" as the originator of the diagnostic.

Anyway, tagging could be interesting, but I don't know that extending
existing `-Wall` would be popular. And I think identifying the driver or
provider or author (etc.) of the message would likely be more interesting
than the tagging feature. As a thought exercise, consider looking at some
example SARIF output from existing toolchains and consider how we would
expect one of these messages to appear as an entry. Then think what kind of
structures would enable the compiler to support that expectation.

Bret