Re: Proposal for module metadata format to be used by the std library and others

From: Daniel Ruoso <daniel_at_[hidden]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:27:11 -0500
On Wed, Dec 13, 2023, 03:02 Ran Regev via SG15 <sg15_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Module-specific file vs. Wider "library manifest" file -
> I prefer the specific as it is simple and no discussion was made on the
> wider topic.

I'm leaning that way too.

I feel that having a file manifest per module would be more
> maintainable once we add more modules beside std.

This was one of my proposals a long while ago, and we didn't get consensus
on that direction.

We ended up getting consensus that the metadata should be at the library
level. Which I ended up liking more, because it allows us to have the
module metadata (including preprocessor arguments) be tied to the specific
build of the library.

A question:
> Should "is-std-library" be set to true when injecting custom
> specializations to std (e.g. hash
> <https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/utility/hash>)?

No. This is exclusively about the reserved module names. Custom
specializations would not be added to the std module.

Daniel